UEA Policy Ambassadors
Every year dozens of policy changes affect Utah’s public schools but these changes don’t always result in the best outcomes for students and educators. Learn how YOU can influence policymaking to achieve better outcomes for students and the education profession by joining the UEA Policy Ambassador program.
The Policy Ambassador program is designed to:
- Build a cohort of trained educators to speak on policy issues.
- Develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education.
- Magnify educators voice in the policymaking process.
2022 Policy Ambassadors
In 2022, 15 educators were selected as UEA Policy Ambassadors. These teachers receive training from the UEA Legislative Team and agree to engage with their legislators and share their experiences with UEA members.
UEA Policy Ambassadors participate in a series of activities related to the legislative session. In addition to trainings, Ambassadors develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education, learn to magnify educators voice in the policymaking process and speak on policy issues, attend online legislative committee meetings, study a policy issue of interest and write about their experience on UEA Under the Dome.
The 2022 Policy Ambassadors are:
• Rebecca Becker, Behavior Specialist, Ogden
• Corby Briggs, Tech/Assistant Principal, North Sanpete
• Shelly DeWitt, School Psychologist, Tooele
• Anthony Dick, Math, Weber
• Rayann Hansen, School Counselor, Logan
• Layla Hardy, Science, Weber
• Alyse Hartley, Social Studies, Weber
• Jennifer Jenkins, Kindergarten/Reading Coach, Duchesne
• Camille Lund, 5th Grade, Weber
• Elinda Nedreberg, Language Arts/Theater, Tintic
• Brittney Nelson, 2nd Grade, Granite
• Rebecca Packard, Aspiring Educator, Westminster
• Ray Smalley, Agriculture, Weber
• Brittany Stull, Life Skills, Washington
• Kristofer Work, Art, Canyons
Recent Policy Ambassador Posts
2022 Policy Ambassador Program Details
- Attend/Participate in:
- Policy Ambassador Retreat at UEA (Saturday, November 6, 2021, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
- Legislative Preview meeting (Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 4:30-6:00 p.m. via Zoom)
- UEA Educator Day on the Hill at the Utah State Capitol (Friday, January 28, 2022, 7:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
- Two House Education Committee meetings and two Senate Education Committee meetings during the 2022 legislative session (online)
- Contact your state senator and state representative on a policy or funding issue.
- Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Policy Ambassador experience (January – March 2022).
- Track education policy issues during the 2022 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah State Legislature website.
- Research and develop talking points on an education policy issue of interest.
- Be willing to testify in a legislative committee hearing or speak with the media on selected policy issues.
- The 2022 program runs from November 6, 2021 – March 30, 2022.
- A $200 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (November Retreat and Educator Day on the Hill).
- Up to 20 participants will be selected.
- UEA member in good standing.
- Interest in developing a greater awareness of education policy as well as leadership and advocacy skills. No prior policy experience is required.
- Must be able to attend required meetings on November 6, January 11 and January 28.
The application process to become a 2023 UEA Policy Ambassador will be announced in late summer 2022.