UEA Policy Ambassadors
2024 Policy Ambassadors
Every year dozens of policy changes affect Utah’s public schools but these changes don’t always result in the best outcomes for students and educators. Learn how YOU can influence policymaking to achieve better outcomes for students and the education profession by joining the UEA Policy Ambassador program.
The Policy Ambassador program is designed to:
- Build a cohort of trained educators to speak on policy issues.
- Develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education.
- Magnify educators voice in the policymaking process.
- Leadership and skills training at a Fall Retreat (Saturday, Oct 28 from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. in Salt Lake City area)
- Legislative preview meeting (Thursday, Feb 1 from 6:00-8:30 p.m. in Salt Lake City area).
- Educator Day on the Hill (Friday, Feb 2 from 7 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the Capitol)
- Legislative committee meetings (online)
- Legislative wrap up meeting (Thursday, March 7 from 5:00-6:00 p.m. virtual)
- Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Policy Ambassador experience (Jan – March 2024)
- Contact State Senator and State Representative on a policy or funding issue
- Track education policy issues during the 2024 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah Legislature website
- Program runs from Oct 28, 2023 – March 30, 2024
- A $100 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (Fall Retreat and Educator Day on the Hill)
- Up to 20 participants will be selected
- UEA member in good standing
- Interest in developing a greater awareness of education policy as well as leadership and advocacy skills.
- Must be able to attend in-person meetings on October 28, February 1 and February 2
- NO prior policy experience is required!
Applications for the 2024 Policy Ambassador program are now closed. Please consider applying next year.
Dr. Sara Jones
Director, Government Relations and Professional Programs
2023 Policy Ambassadors
This fall, 20 educators were selected as UEA Policy Ambassadors and six educators were selected as Advanced Policy Ambassadors. The program launched with a Fall Retreat led by members of the UEA Legislative Team. The training focused on logistics of the legislative process and lobbying, developing leadership and advocacy skills to positively impact public education, and learning to magnify educator voice in the policymaking process.
UEA Policy Ambassadors engage in a series of activities related to the 2023 legislative session. In addition to training at the Fall Retreat, Ambassadors will participate in a Legislative Preview meeting, attend UEA Educator Day on the Hill, speak with their elected representative and senator, attend legislative committee meetings, and write about their experience for UEA’s Under the Dome webpage.
Congratulations to our 2023 UEA Advanced Policy Ambassadors!
Congratulations to our 2023 UEA
Rebecca Allen Canyons
Amy Antonini Davis
Brady Arnold-Diaz Granite
Julie Beane Canyons
Issachar Beh Murray
Aironn Bishop Millard
Jodie Burch Davis
Kirsten Federico Granite
Diane Flood Alpine
Jason Jones Davis
Stephanie Jones Alpine
Haley Kelly Granite
Mary Morgan Park City
Kathleen O’Donnell Granite
Nancy Peterson Salt Lake City
Jeff Saunders Tooele
Darci Shepherd Davis
Tami Supino Davis
Kristen Thomas Park City
Shelley Timothy Tooele