UEA Policy Ambassadors
Every year dozens of policy changes affect Utah’s public schools but these changes don’t always result in the best outcomes for students and educators. Learn how YOU can influence policymaking to achieve better outcomes for students and the education profession by joining the UEA Policy Ambassador program.
The Policy Ambassador program is designed to:
- Build a cohort of trained educators to speak on policy issues.
- Develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education.
- Magnify educators voice in the policymaking process.
2023 Policy Ambassador Program Details
- Leadership and skills training at a Fall Retreat (Saturday, October 29, 2022 from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. in Salt Lake City area).
- Legislative preview meeting and networking with Advanced Policy Ambassadors (Thursday, February 2, 2023 from 6-8:30 p.m. in Salt Lake City area).
- UEA Educator Day on the Hill (Friday, February 3 from 7:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at the Utah State Capitol).
- Legislative committee meetings during the 2023 legislative session (online).
- Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Policy Ambassador experience (January – March 2023).
- Contact State Senator and State Representative on a policy or funding issue.
- Track education policy issues during the 2023 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah State Legislature website.
- The 2023 program runs from October 29, 2022 – March 30, 2023.
- A $150 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (Fall Retreat and Educator Day on the Hill).
- Up to 18 participants will be selected.
- UEA member in good standing.
- Interest in developing a greater awareness of education policy as well as leadership and advocacy skills. No prior policy experience is required.
- Must be able to attend required meetings on October 29 and February 2 & 3.
- Apply to participate as a UEA Policy Ambassador by completing the Policy Ambassador Application Form.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 7, 2022.
- Selected participants will be notified by October 12, 2022.
2022 Policy Ambassadors
In 2022, 15 educators were selected as UEA Policy Ambassadors. These teachers receive training from the UEA Legislative Team and agree to engage with their legislators and share their experiences with UEA members.
UEA Policy Ambassadors participate in a series of activities related to the legislative session. In addition to trainings, Ambassadors develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education, learn to magnify educators voice in the policymaking process and speak on policy issues, attend online legislative committee meetings, study a policy issue of interest and write about their experience on UEA Under the Dome.
The 2022 Policy Ambassadors are:
• Rebecca Becker, Behavior Specialist, Ogden
• Corby Briggs, Tech/Assistant Principal, North Sanpete
• Shelly DeWitt, School Psychologist, Tooele
• Anthony Dick, Math, Weber
• Rayann Hansen, School Counselor, Logan
• Layla Hardy, Science, Weber
• Alyse Hartley, Social Studies, Weber
• Jennifer Jenkins, Kindergarten/Reading Coach, Duchesne
• Camille Lund, 5th Grade, Weber
• Elinda Nedreberg, Language Arts/Theater, Tintic
• Brittney Nelson, 2nd Grade, Granite
• Rebecca Packard, Aspiring Educator, Westminster
• Ray Smalley, Agriculture, Weber
• Brittany Stull, Life Skills, Washington
• Kristofer Work, Art, Canyons
Recent Policy Ambassador Posts