Policy Ambassadors Help Shape the Future of Utah's Public Education
Policy changes are a constant in the ever-evolving landscape of Utah's public schools. However, the impact of these changes on students and educators doesn't always align with the best outcomes. The question is, how can you make a difference? Enter the UEA Policy Ambassador program – a pathway for educators like you to influence policymaking and drive positive educational change.
Every year, the UEA Policy Ambassador program equips a diverse group of educators with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the complex world of policy issues. By participating, you become part of a movement that seeks to reshape the educational landscape for the better.
Don't let policy changes happen without your input. Be a driving force for positive outcomes in education. Join the UEA Policy Ambassador program and become an advocate for students, educators, and the future of Utah's public schools.
To qualify, candidates must be UEA members in good standing. Ideal candidates should be interested in expanding their understanding of education policy, leadership principles, and advocacy skills. Commitment to attending in-person meetings scheduled on October 28, February 1, and February 2 is essential.
Applicants don't need previous policy experience. UEA encourages members from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply and bring their unique perspectives to our policy initiatives.
Applications for the 2024 Policy Ambassador program are no longer being accepted. If you missed the opportunity this year, we encourage you to consider applying next year and becoming integral to shaping Utah's education policy's future.
For more information, contact Government Relations and Professional Programs Director Dr. Sara Jones at [email protected]
Policy Ambassador Obligations
- Leadership and skills training at a Fall Retreat (Saturday, Oct 28, from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Salt Lake City area)
- Legislative preview meeting (Thursday, Feb 1, 6:00-8:30 p.m. in Salt Lake City area).
- Educator Day on the Hill (Friday, Feb 2, from 7 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the Capitol)
- Legislative committee meetings (online)
- Legislative wrap-up meeting (Thursday, March 7 from 5:00-6:00 p.m. virtual)
- Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Policy Ambassador experience (Jan – March 2024)
- Contact State Senator and State Representative on a policy or funding issue.
- Track education policy issues during the 2024 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah Legislature website
- The program runs from Oct 28, 2023 – March 30, 2024
- A $100 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage, and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (Fall Retreat and Educator Day on the Hill)
- Up to 20 participants will be selected.
Being a part of the policy ambassadors made me a proud member of my teacher’s union. I feel like my union dues genuinely go to a cause that helps advance public education effectively and professionally.