Current Legislative Happenings
Links and Resources
Policy Ambassador Messages
Participants in the UEA Policy Ambassador program are trained in the legislative process, provided opportunities to engage with their legislators and invited share their experiences with other UEA members. Below are recent posts from the educators selected as UEA Policy Ambassadors. Read more about UEA Policy Ambassadors and view all posts.
UEA Legislative Activities
Educators’ voices are critical to the policymaking process. Whether you are a casual observer or a diehard political junkie, the Utah Education Association wants to keep members informed on education issues. There are plenty of opportunities to stay informed and for your voice to be heard:
UEA ‘Under the Dome’
Read daily updates from the UEA Legislative Team, follow the progress of education-related bills and view comprehensive legislative resources at UEA Under the Dome. This site is updated regularly with news and links to relevant information. The UEA President and other members of the UEA Legislative Team also provide regular updates on activities and their commentary on happenings during the session.
The UEA Legislative Team conducts a UEA Capitol Insights Zoom briefing each Thursday at 4:30 p.m. during the legislative session. You’ll hear the latest updates on important education issues and have the chance to ask questions of the UEA Legislative Team. You must pre-register to participate:
- CLICK HERE TO PRE-REGISTER for the UEA Capitol Insights weekly briefing
(NOTE: Sign up once and you are registered for all weekly briefings.)
Registered UEA activists receive email updates sent daily during Legislative Session. Use the form below and click “Submit” to be a UEA activists and receive the UEA Capitol Insights e-newsletter.
Live Video Updates
Watch for regular Facebook Live updates from your UEA Legislative Team at the Capitol. Follow the UEA on Facebook at facebook.com/UtahEducationAssociation.
‘Why Educators Lobby’ Video
Wondering why UEA encourages educators to get involved in the legislative session in the first place? Hear Utah legislators and fellow teachers explain how policy and budget decisions are made, how these decisions impact educators and why educators should get involved.
Lobbying Training Videos
Watch UEA videos on effective lobbying during the 2023 Legislative Session.
- Training #1: UEA Legislative Team and 2023 Priorities
- Training #2: Navigating the Utah Legislative Website
- Training #3: Tracking Bills at the Legislature
- Training #4: UEA Legislative Resources and Activities
- Training #5: The UEA Message and Telling Your Story
UEA Policy Ambassadors
A team of UEA Policy Ambassadors represent teachers and provide commentary during each Legislative Session (view posts and more about UEA UEA Policy Ambassadors).
UEA Action Bulletin
The UEA will provide legislative email updates on important breaking news through the UEA Action Bulletin e-newsletter.
‘UEA Action’ Member Newsletters
A summary of current happenings is shared with all members in each monthly issue of the UEA Action e-newsletter during the Legislative session. A summary of UEA activities and results from the Utah Legislative session is included in the April print issue of the UEA Action Digest delivered to all members.
Please feel free to reach out to any member of the UEA Legislative Team if you have any questions.
Educator Day on the Hill
About UEA Educator Day on the Hill
Legislators often say, “I know what UEA thinks, but I want to hear from a real teacher.” UEA Educator Day on the Hill is an opportunity to introduce yourself to your representatives, meet and share information and concerns and gain knowledge of the legislative process.
Typical Educator Day on the Hill activities:
- Meet at 7 a.m. on Capitol Hill in the Aspen Room, located in the Senate Building (350 N. State Street).
- The UEA Legislative Team will brief attendees on education bills and the public education budget.
- Attend a committee meeting or watch floor debates to see policymaking in action.
- The UEA Legislative Team will assist you in contacting legislators from your legislative districts.
- Educator Day on the Hill attendees reconvene at noon in the Aspen Room to “de-brief” the morning’s activities. Lunch is provided if you preregister.
Additional Educator Day on the Hill resources:
- Utah State Capitol directions and parking
- Map of the Utah State Capitol complex (PDF)
– Connecting With Your Legislator (PDF)
– Ten Minute Education Activist (PDF)
– How a Bill Becomes a Law (PDF)
– How to Read a Bill (PDF)
– Legislative Terms (PDF)
- Utah State Legislature homepage
2023 UEA Educator Day on the Hill
- Educator Day on the Hill is held every Friday during the legislative session. The dates for 2023 are January 20, January 27, February 3, February 10, February 17 and February 24.
- In an effort to keep up with UEA safety protocols and changes at the State Capitol Building, we will offer pre-registration for all attendees. Pre-registration is not required for attendance, but does guarantee meeting room access* and availability of a boxed lunch (the Capitol cafeteria is permanently closed).
- 2023 Pre-registration – Click on the date you wish to attend to pre-registe
- View and print 2023 EDOH flier (pdf)
*While we do not anticipate the need to limit attendance this year, there is the possibility we could exceed space available in the scheduled meeting rooms on some days. In this unlikely event, some participants may not be allowed in the meeting room but can still participate in other Educator Day on the Hill activities, like meeting with legislators and attending committee meetings.
2023 UEA Educator Day on the Hill Plus:
- EDOH-Plus provides legislative training for first-time Hill Day attendees and is held on Thursday evenings prior to each Hill Day. Reimbursement for travel expenses may be available. Attendance at EDOH-Plus is by registration only. Please contact your local leader and/or UniServ director if you are interested in attending.
UEA Legislative Team
Whether we like it or not, what happens on Utah’s Capitol Hill impacts what we do in the classroom. That’s why your UEA Legislative Team works with Utah legislators and policymakers to support our teachers and promote the UEA Legislative Platform as determined by Utah educators at the UEA House of Delegates.
Your UEA Legislative Team Members
Renée Pinkney, UEA President
Tel: 801-266-4461, ext. 102
Brandon Baca, UEA Vice President
Tel: 801-266-4461, ext. 105
Jennifer Boehme, UEA Executive Director
Tel: 801-266-4461, ext. 104
Jay Blain, UEA Director of Policy and Research
Chase Clyde, UEA Director of Government Relations and Political Action
Sara Jones, Ph.D., UEA Director of Government Relations and Professional Programs
Hailey Higgins, UEA Director of Communications
Legislative Voting Records
Each year, the Utah Education Association tracks numerous bills during the legislative session. The UEA then reviews the voting records of legislators and highlights selected bills voted on in the Legislature that would have significant impact on public education, the education profession and the UEA. It is important to note that a voting record is but one of several indicators used to evaluate legislators. It does not explain the reasons a legislator voted a certain way on a bill, and in some cases the final percentage might not accurately reflect a legislator’s overall support for public education.
From bills affecting funding for public education, educator professionalism and grading schools to parent rights, technology and school board elections, lawmakers consider a wide variety of education-related measures during their 45-day session. In addition to using “final floor votes” on most bills, the UEA analysis includes committee votes and votes on important amendments. Often times these votes provide a more critical, or accurate, indication of a legislator’s support. The UEA encourages you to contact your legislators directly to ask them to explain their votes. Contact information for your legislators is available from the Utah Legislature look-up page.
- View the UEA Analysis of 2022 Senate Voting Records (pdf)
- View the UEA Analysis of 2022 House Voting Records (pdf)