UEA Membership is an Investment in Your Future
As an educator, you will spend your days with other people’s children and guide them through their public school years. We know that the first few years of your career are key to your decision to remain in the profession. Between the first day and the last day of your career as a public school educator, we’re here for you.
Belonging to our Association – and engaging in your local associations activities – will help you make your career a success. Membership in the UEA is an investment in your future, your career, and your profession. Your membership is rewarded by top quality, superb value, and excellent service.
Association membership gives you benefits in four main areas:
Leadership in our Profession
- Workshops on professional issues: classroom management, standards and assessment, educator licensure, cultural diversity, and more
- Professional resources—the NEA Professional Library and Praxis exam support
- Online professional development—the NEA Academy
- Publications on education and employee issues from the UEA and the NEA
Leadership in Advocacy and Collective Bargaining
- Immediate, personal assistance from local leaders and UniServ Directors
- Representation from the UEA’s full-time attorney experienced in labor law
- $1 million professional liability insurance
- Prompt assistance in solving problems in your workplace
- Local negotiations for your salary, benefits, and working conditions
- Training and research for your local’s negotiators
Leadership in Public Education
- Representation in the decisions that will improve public education: reducing class sizes, increasing school funding, educator mentoring and support
- Advocacy by your local association at the school board or governing board/agency
- Campaigns to elect pro-public education lawmakers and school board members, and to pass local and state ballot issues that fund public education
- Public relations campaigns to encourage public support for education
- Local association activities to engage and involve you and other members in their schools
Leadership in Personal Economic Services
- Investment, annuity, and financial programs
- Consumer education through NEA Member Benefits Program
- Member discounts on everyday purchases, travel services, and auto and homeowners insurance
- Very few professions are as challenging or as critically important as teaching. Belong, all along the way. We’re here for you.
New Teacher Tips
Practical classroom tips from teachers like you!
The free Works4Me weekly e-newsletter brings you practical classroom tips written by teachers, for teachers. Each week you’ll receive other teachers’ best ideas on classroom management, teaching techniques, curriculum content, peer & student relationships and more.
The Works4Me Web site contains more than 1,800 tips that have appeared in the newsletter over the last 10+ years.
The Works4Me online discussion board will connect you with other educators and give you a place to get answers to your everyday classroom dilemmas and help other educators solve their own problems.
The NEA Academy provides practical online courses to meet professional development and continuing education needs.
Courses combine the power of self-paced study and instructor-led virtual classrooms for maximum flexibility, creating the perfect fit for educators who seek a convenient means of gaining additional skills and tools to make a difference in their students’ lives.
Discover the best in online learning opportunities. NEA’s professional development courses are designed for easy access online and to make learning fun, flexible and collaborative. Courses can help you earn graduate credit, PDPs or CEUs while gaining strategies and resources for immediate use in the classroom.
Teaching Channel, a new non-profit focused on professional development, is a video showcase—on the web and television—of great teaching in America’s public schools. The new national non-profit’s focus is to elevate and celebrate teaching with an emphasis on sharing promising and best teaching practices.
Some of the series in production include Great Lesson Ideas, Beginning Teacher Survival Pack, and Tough to Teach Topics. Teaching Channel’s website enables teachers to download and share videos and the supporting lesson plans. These video lessons for K-12 students in English language arts, math, science, and history/social sciences include lesson objectives, questions to consider, homework ideas, and more. The site also provides space for a community of online learners, where teachers can add feedback on the lessons and offer their own ideas and best practices.
Create your free account to day. Log in to start receiving and sharing lesson plans and to collaborate with other teachers from around the country.
Join the Curriki community for access to open source peer-reviewed content, for opportunities to collaborate with other educators and to share your own content. Upload and download as many resources as you like—at no charge.
Available content includes, but is not limited to:
- Curriculum: lesson plans, units, scope & sequence, assessments, rubrics and online courses.
- Multimedia assets: ebooks, etextbooks, videos, podcasts, animations and photos.
- Activities: games, experiments/labs, assignments, problem sets and webquests.
SmileMakers has the absolute best selection of children’s giveaways, hottest character stickers, plus SmileMakers exclusive products. With quick, easy, hassle-free ordering, whether you call our toll free number or order online.
Shop now. Spend less. On everything you need for your classroom!
NEA members save up to 50% and receive free shipping when they use the promo code NEABTS at checkout.
We share your enthusiasm for student success! Easily set up your classroom, motivate your students and take learning to the next level with our selection of:
- pocket charts
- and more!
Shop our vast selection today—everything you need to complete your classroom can be found at Carson-Dellosa!
NEA members can save 15% on any regular-priced products. Plus, on orders of $35 or more, members receive free standard shipping!
Bookmark this page for repeated use, because the NEA member discount and free shipping promotion are only available if you click through to Carson-Dellosa’s website from this page.
Adopt a Classroom
The Adopt-A-Classroom program matches donors with teachers so you can easily raise funds for classroom supplies and materials.
To get started, register online and create an Adopt-A-Classroom account. Use simple outreach tools to tell your network about this new resource so they can help your students and classroom.
Once the word is out, parents, friends, family, contacts, local businesses and social network friends are able to make direct donations to your Adopt-A-Classroom account. Educators who strategically use the program typically raise $200-$1000 or more each school year to support classroom needs.
- You will have the ability to use donated funds through the online vendor network to buy the supplies that fit your classroom needs
- The Adopt-A-Classroom vendor network includes: School Specialty, OfficeMax, Scholastic, Kaplan, Encyclopedia Brittanica, West Music and the TeachAde Store among many others
- 100% of all donations are passed through to your account
- All donations are tax deductible
- The Adopt-A-Classroom program is a proven resource to help support your classroom and instructional needs
Praxis Test Preparation
If you are a Level 1 educator teaching in Utah, you must take and pass the PRAXIS Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) within the first three years of your career in order to get a Level II teaching license. Additionally, educators must pass a content exam to demonstrate “highly qualified” status.
For resources to help prepare for the Praxis exam, UEA members should contact their UniServ for more information and a schedule of Praxis test prep classes.
For questions regarding what specific content exam you need to take, please contact your school district’s human resources department.
For more information regarding educator licensing, contact the Utah State Office of Education www.schools.utah.gov/cert/.