The Utah State Board of Education announced the five finalists for 2023 Utah Teacher of the Year. They are:
- Teresa Hislop, an eighth-grade science teacher at Ogden Preparatory Academy charter school in Ogden.
- Netanya Elise Maxwell, a Salt Lake Education Association member and third-grade teacher at Bonneville Elementary in the Salt Lake City School District.
- Elizabeth Sampson, a Duchesne Education Association member and visual art teacher at Union High School in the Duchesne County School District.
- Tracy Warenski, a Nebo Education Association member and second-grade teacher at East Meadows Elementary in the Nebo School District.
- Chad Warnick, a Millard Education Association member and agriculture, biology, leadership, and communications teacher at Delta Technical Center in the Millard School District.
A selection committee comprised of representatives from the Utah Education Association and other parent and teacher advocacy organizations, charter schools and the Utah State Board of Education selected the finalists. They made their choices from the statewide nominees forwarded from district and charter school teachers of the year.
The selection committee completed interviews with the five finalists and the announcement of the 2023 Utah Teacher of the Year will be made at the annual banquet to be held in Salt Lake City on September 8. The 2023 Utah Teacher of the Year will represent Utah in the National Teacher of the Year Program in Washington, D.C. and will succeed 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year Mark Daniels, who is a Weber Education Association member and theatre teacher at Weber High School in the Weber District.