Ethnic Minority Representative
Denise was elected as the Ethnic Minority representative on the UEA Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning July 15, 2017.
- Kindergarten teacher in Morgan School District
- 18 years teaching experience
Association Leadership Experience
- Building representative for Morgan Elementary and Mountain Green Elementary.
- Member of the Organizing, Membership and Capacity Building Committee for the last four years
- Attended Minority Leadership Training held by the NEA
- Currently serving as Eastern Utah UniServ vice president
What I learned about the UEA that surprised me:
Just how much the UEA is fighting for the teachers and student in Utah. That UEA has a team on the hill listening, talking, speaking with and to legislators. Providing them (legislators and others) with the information to make the best decisions for the students in Utah. Building and sustaining relationships with everyone around the table.
That some of the problems we are going through in Utah have happened in other states. That UEA gets assistance from other states and NEA.
What I value most about the Association:
The open door policy that the UEA holds. If you don’t know something or you have a question, it is okay for you to ask. If you don’t agree, it is okay to speak up and let others know that you do not agree with the majority. That my voice is important. If I don’t understand something it is okay to ask questions and become more informed.
How members might begin to be more active in the Association:
If you don’t understand something it is okay to ask questions or for more information. Find out what UEA has done for the teachers and students in Utah. Get out and get involved. It may surprise you what you will find out!!