The Public Appropriations Subcommittee heard several reports, including a presentation on the Public Education Capstone Audit.
Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee (reported by Jay Blain): Among the reports heard during the August 16, 2022, Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee Meeting, there was a desire expressed to have school districts provide more of a contribution to funding and to generate funds for property tax equalization. Rep. Steve Eliason commented that the state must also ensure districts are funding schools equally. Legislative staff made a suggestion that maybe they could continue the WPU value rate and then split it between the WPU value rate and the equalization if the equalization program ends. Reports and presentations heard by the subcommittee included:
- Public Education Funding Study, Economies of Scale Update (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2022/pdf/00003173.pdf)
- Equity Pupil Funding update presented by legislative staff (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2022/pdf/00003174.pdf)
- Voted and Board Levy distributions presented by legislative staff (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2022/pdf/00003175.pdf)
- Report on surplus funds that will be distributed at the end of August (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2022/pdf/00003176.pdf)
- Public Education Stabilization Account presented by legislative staff (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2022/pdf/00003177.pdf)