Each year, dozens of policy changes affect Utah’s public schools but these changes don’t always result in the best outcomes for students and educators. Learn how YOU can influence policymaking to achieve better outcomes for students and the education profession by becoming a UEA Policy Ambassador. The Policy Ambassador program is designed to:
- Build a cohort of trained educators to speak on policy issues.
- Develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education.
- Magnify educators' voices in the policymaking process.
2020 UEA Policy Ambassador Program
The UEA is seeking Policy Ambassadors for 2020. Following are the program requirements:
- Must Attend or Participate in:
- Policy Ambassador Fall Retreat at UEA (Saturday, Nov 9, 2019, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.).
- Legislative Session preview webinar (Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020, 4:30-6:00 p.m.).
- One UEA Educator Day on the Hill (Friday, Feb 7, 2020, 7:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. If necessary, alternate dates to attend are 1/31, 2/14, 2/21, 2/28 or 3/6).
- Two House Education Committee meetings and two Senate Education Committee meetings during the 2020 legislative session (in-person or online).
- UEA Summer Leadership Academy where you will present, as a team, one 75-minute workshop on the Ambassador experience (June 9 or 10, 2020).
Contact your state senator and state representative on a policy or funding issue.
Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Ambassador experience (Feb 2020).
Write one reflection on the Ambassador experience for the UEA Action Newsletter (March 2020).
Track education policy issues during the 2020 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah State Legislature website.
Research and develop talking points on an education policy issue of interest.
Be willing to testify in a legislative committee hearing or speak with the media on selected policy issues.
- Program runs from November 9, 2019 - June 10, 2020. Note: Legislative session dates are January 27-March 11, 2020.
- A $200 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (Fall Retreat, Educator Day on the Hill and Summer Leadership Academy).
- Up to 15 participants will be selected.
- UEA member in good standing.
- Interest in developing a greater awareness of education policy as well as leadership and advocacy skills with no prior policy experience required.
- Must be able to attend required trainings and meetings on November 9, January 15, February 7 (alternate dates listed above) and either June 9 or 10 (for the UEA Summer Leadership Academy).
Complete the Policy Ambassador Application Form. Application deadline is Wednesday, October 9, 2019. Selected participants will be notified by Friday, October 11, 2019.
Please direct any questions about the Policy Ambassador Program to:
Dr. Sara Jones
Director, Education Excellence and Government Relations, Utah Education Association