Utah Education Association
Issues and Action
UEA Policy Ambassador Program
Every year dozens of policy changes affect Utah’s public schools but these changes don’t always result in the best outcomes for students and educators. Learn how YOU can influence policymaking to achieve better outcomes for students and the education profession by joining the UEA Policy Ambassador program. The UEA is now accepting applications for the 2022 Policy Ambassador program.
The Policy Ambassador program is designed to:
- Build a cohort of trained educators to speak on policy issues.
- Develop and apply leadership skills to positively impact public education.
- Magnify educators voice in the policymaking process.
Policy Ambassador Program Details
- Attend/Participate in:
- Policy Ambassador Retreat at UEA (Saturday, November 6, 2021, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
- Legislative Preview meeting (Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 4:30-6:00 p.m. via Zoom)
- UEA Educator Day on the Hill at the Utah State Capitol (Friday, January 28, 2022, 7:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
- Two House Education Committee meetings and two Senate Education Committee meetings during the 2022 legislative session (online)
- Contact your state senator and state representative on a policy or funding issue.
- Write one legislative update for UEA’s Under the Dome website describing the Policy Ambassador experience (January – March 2022).
- Track education policy issues during the 2022 legislative session via UEA’s Under the Dome website and the Utah State Legislature website.
- Research and develop talking points on an education policy issue of interest.
- Be willing to testify in a legislative committee hearing or speak with the media on selected policy issues.
- Program runs from November 6, 2021 – March 30, 2022.
- A $200 stipend will be paid upon completion of all program activities.
- Hotel, mileage and substitute costs will be paid for mandatory in-person meetings (November Retreat and Educator Day on the Hill).
- Up to 20 participants will be selected.
- UEA member in good standing.
- Interest in developing a greater awareness of education policy as well as leadership and advocacy skills. No prior policy experience is required.
- Must be able to attend required meetings on November 6, January 11 and January 28.
Apply now to participate as a UEA Policy Ambassador by completing the Policy Ambassador Application Form. Application deadline is October 4, 2021. Selected participants will be notified by October 8, 2021.