Parent tips from the Utah Education Association
Thinking Past High School – Be Ready for the Next Step
By Beverlee A. Simpson, M.Ed., National Board Certified Teacher, language arts teacher at East High School, Salt Lake City
One of the most important aspects of education is the responsibility of preparing young people for the future. Experts predict that many of the jobs our children will perform in the future haven’t even been created yet! So in order to prepare your child for a career that is rewarding and productive, encourage him/her to take advantage of the wide spectrum of courses available in public school. Utah schools offer a wide range of courses as elective classes in an effort to capture the interest and imagination of students and prepare them for the future:
- Many chefs became interested in cooking by taking a food preparation class in middle or high school.
- Careers in broadcasting have been launched in a TV studio at school where students learn technical as well as performance skills.
- Sports medicine, physical therapy, dental assistant and nursing programs have introduced many students to the wide possibilities for careers in the medical profession.
- Science labs foster an interest in finding out how our universe works and help students develop the research skills to discover new and exciting things.
- Many students become skilled at sports while participating in school activities and go on to become professional athletes – or at least develop a life-long love for a sport.
Talk to your child’s teacher and counselor to create a schedule that gives your student a variety of experiences during his/her school career. Encourage your student to take advantage of all the possibilities – who knows what the next generation will accomplish!
Parents & Community