Parent tips from the Utah Education Association
Technology – Children And Television
Did you know American children watch an average of 3 to 5 hours of television each day?
Although TV can be fun and educational, it’s important to know what your children are watching – to make sure it’s not too much, and to make sure it doesn’t stop them from doing schoolwork.
Need help? Here are some tips from the U.S. Department of Education:
- Monitor what your child is watching and, whenever possible, watch the programs with your child.
- Pick a TV show to watch as a family. What kind of conversations can you start from the TV show? For instance, ask, “Why are those people in the program so unkind to each other?”
- Plan other activities, such as crafts, reading, doing homework, or writing letters, instead of watching TV. Try to plan at least one different activity each week.
- Avoid using TV as a babysitter.
- Avoid using TV as a reward or punishment. It gives TV too much importance.
- Turn off the TV during meals and study time.
Parents & Community