Parent tips from the Utah Education Association
Reading and Writing – Building A Solid Reading Foundation
Would you like to build a solid reading foundation for your young child? Here are a few suggestions:
- Label things in the home such as the table, the refrigerator, doors, etc. Collect the labels and have your child put them back on the correct objects.
- While in the car, walking, or riding the bus, have your child look for and read familiar signs.
- Talk to children about what they like to do — their favorite games, pastimes, and books. Listen to your child's stories, accounts of events and ideas. Allow them to dictate the stories to you, and make a written collection to enjoy.
- Make plans for the day with your child. As children get older, plans can be written in a short schedule. The schedule can be used to search for familiar words and to learn new words.
- Encourage your child to ask questions. Show how some questions can be answered by looking for information in books.
Parents & Community