Most UEA members understand their association membership gives them a voice in bargaining for salaries, benefits and working conditions within their school district. What they may not understand is how bargaining negotiations work. Even those participating on bargaining teams may not know all the ins and outs of district negotiations. The UEA conducts statewide and regional bargaining training to assist.
2017 Statewide Bargaining Summit
Nearly 100 educators representing school districts across the state volunteered their time Saturday, Nov. 18, to discuss ways they can better advocate for teachers and students as part of the 2017 UEA Bargaining Summit. The event was held at the Jordan School District Auxiliary Services Building in West Jordan.
“The Summit is an opportunity for teacher leaders from across the state to share best practices for working effectively with district administrators and school boards,” said UEA Director of Policy and Research Jay Blain. This marked the sixth year UEA has held a Bargaining Summit…more
2018 Regional Bargaining Training
The UEA provides training to help educate those involved. UEA representatives will travel the state in early 2018, presenting the following regional bargaining training sessions:
- January 17: Woodland Peaks UniServ (Springville)
- January 25: Ogden-Weber UniServ (Ogden)
- January 31: Alpine, Davis, Granite, Jordan and Wasatch UniServs (Murray)
- February 1: Northern UniServ
- February 6: Color Country UniServ (Cedar City)
- February 7: High Desert UniServ – West (Richfield)
- February 13 High Desert UniServ – East (Green River)
- February 15 Eastern UniServ – West (Midway)
- February 20 Eastern UniServ – East (Basin)
Participants will discuss best practices and current issues and learn ways they can better advocate for teachers and students. Some issues to be discussed include funding steps and lanes, health insurance, teacher shortages, at-will contracts, school schedules, teacher morale and longevity incentives.
For additional details, please contact your local president, your local or UniServ or Jay Blain, Director of Policy and Research, 801-417-0238 / 801-641-5297, jay.blain@myUEA.org.