2018 UEA Educator Day on the Hill
Teachers' voices are critical! Held each Friday during the 45-day Utah General Legislative Session, UEA Educator Day on the Hill (EDOH) gives you the opportunity to introduce yourself to your lawmakers and share your voice. Join the UEA Legislative Team at the State Capitol on any of the following Fridays:
- January 26*
- February 2*
- February 9
- February 16*
- February 23*
- March 2
*EDOH+ is held the Thursday evening prior.
EDOH Plus is a new way to learn more about making a difference on Capitol Hill! On selected dates*, the UEA Legislative Team provides an in-depth look at the legislative process and shares ways to persuasively speak with your legislators. EDOH+ is held on the Thursday evening prior to EDOH, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Travel reimbursement and accommodation may be provided based on distance. If you’re interested in participating in EDOH+, please contact your local president or UniServ director.
(Note: EDOH+ on Thursday, January 25 is geared toward future educators. Student members may go to myUEA.org/students to register.)
About UEA Educator Day on the Hill
UEA Educator Day on the Hill provides an opportunity to introduce lawmakers to some of the state’s excellent teachers and gives educators a deeper understanding of the political process. Legislators express the opinion that they know what UEA thinks, but want to hear from a ‘real’ teacher. Having teachers speak face to face with their legislators really does make a difference.
UEA Educator Day on the Hill was initiated in 2009.
Legislative schedules are unpredictable and change often, but in general, each UEA Educator Day on the Hill proceeds as follows:
- Meet with the UEA Legislative Team in the Copper Room, located on the first floor of the Senate building, for a briefing on specific bills and general tips about working with the legislature (view a map of the Utah State Capitol). The meeting begins at 7 a.m.
- Attend a committee meeting or watch floor debates to see policymaking in action.
- The Team will assist you in contacting legislators from your legislative district.
- As a group, meet in the Copper Room again at noon to “de-brief” the morning’s activities. Lunch is provided.
How to Participate
If you are interested in participating in the UEA Educator Day on the Hill, have questions or need additional information, please contact your local leader and/or UniServ director.
Resources for Those Attending
2017 Educator Day on the Hill
About 400 educators participated in Educator Day on the Hill events held in 2017. Educators played a significant role in influencing legislation in 2016:
- The stories members shared with legislators during Educator Day on the Hill built great support for education issues, including funding.
- Thousands of UEA members made direct contact with their legislators.
- More than 2,700 teachers responded to the UEA legislative survey, providing data and teacher comments that were shared with legislators.
- Many local associations held meetings with legislators in their districts.
• View the complete 2017 Legislative Summary